Monday, June 22, 2015

Surprise!: Birthday in a Box

Who likes surprises? I love surprises! Especially on my birthday, and the only thing I like better than getting a surprise is giving one. I have a friend back home who is having a birthday and I thought I would send her a birthday party in a box. I know right what could be more exciting then cupcakes, flashy confetti, balloons, and a little something for the birthday girl of course?

Since we live so far away from so many of our friends and family it's been hard to come up with ideas of thoughtful gifts that I can send them since I can't spend the day with them like I wish I could. Just another plight of a military spouse right? This box has a few things that I hope will brighten her day and won't cost me an arm and a leg to ship.

The first thing I had to do was to wrap the box, from the inside of course.  First gather your supplies. You'll need a flat mailing box (I used a 6" x 6" x 6" box), wrapping paper ( I just love stripes...), good scissors (I can't tell you how important a good pair of scissors is... I may of may not have almost cut my finger off with a pair of dull ones on this project, I'm just saying...), some clear packing tape, or and some glue (it's not pictured but you can really use any adhesive you like I just happen to have this on hand).


Then you want to use the GOOD scissors to cut open the box so that it lays flat.


Measure out your paper using the box as a template and cut it just a tiniest bit shorter on all sides.



Then glue that bad boy into place. You can see I went real low budget on the glue here. Just good ol' white school glue.


Then you have to cut out the notches where the paper is seen through. That way you can fold up the box and tape it shut. Good as new. 




Okay now the fun part, time to fill it up! I tried to pick things I knew she would enjoy and because the whole box of cake mix wouldn't fit the box I disassembled it, add a cut topper with instructions and put it all back together again... All in all it was really fun and I can't wait to hear from her once she gets it. All about gifting smiles...


And just because here's a printable for the cake mix topper and birthday card. Enjoy!

click here

No comments:

Post a Comment