Monday, September 30, 2013

The Pump Life


This is my new best friend. Yup some people have hot dates, I have pump dates. And let me tell you they come way too close together. When I found out I was pregnant there was no question about whether or not I would breastfeed. Landon was breastfed and of course everything you hear points to human milk for human babies. I got that. Then I had her... 16 weeks early.... You could say this threw me for a loop when it came to feeding. Seeing as though she couldn't eat any milk (formula or mine) for probably the first 3 weeks of her life I had to pump. I was not ready for what exclusively pumping meant. It was days of pumping 8 times a day, around the clock and getting nothing. I mean not even a drop. Even the best breast pump can't express milk like a newborn. It was frustrating and many times I wanted to give up. The lactation consultants at the hospital were truly my cheerleaders. They would come check on me, give me information and answer all my seemingly dumb questions. They are what truly kept me pumping when I would have given up. Now Ms. Lizzy is doing great and is healthy for the most part. Her doctors say a lot of that is attributed to the fact she was able to, for the most part, get breastmilk for nutrition. She does have 2 formula feeds a day, but that is solely for calorie sake. She needs to pack on the ounces so I just tell my self it is the equivalent to a having a protein shake and that makes me feel better! She is now 3 pounds and climbing and I couldn't be more happy. I have a freezer full of milk at the hospital and working on filling up a deep freeze at home and have learned so much in the process. Maybe one day I will share some tips I have learned along the way, but for now I am basking in the glow of one thing I was able to do for my little girl when there was so much that I couldn't.


Still a skinny mini
All cheeks and chins!
My two little sweet peas!

1 comment: