Thursday, July 2, 2015

Blackened Chicken Breast with Avocado Cream Sauce

So, about clean eating. If anyone knows me they know I enjoy food, all food and more specifically all the foods that are bad for me. I'd like to think that I could make healthy food taste just like a double cheeseburger dripping in cheese, but I have not mastered that skill. Not even by a long shot. However, now that I am FINALLY getting serious about getting rid of this baby weight I have resigned myself to healthy, clean eating. And seeing as though I love food as much as I do and enjoy cooking I am finding new ways to make the foods that I am supposed to eat into foods I want to eat. This recipe is one of those meals born out the desperation of having to sit through another plate of tasteless "healthy food". So lets get into the recipe....

Blackened Chicken Breast with Avocado Cream Sauce and Roasted Broccoli

For the blackening seasoning
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use more, but I was making this for the kiddos too)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp olive oil

For the avocado cream sauce
3 Tbsp non fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 avocado
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup cilantro leaves (you can use parsley if you don't like cilantro)
2 Tbsp water
1 garlic clove
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

1large head of broccoli
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

First you want to mix up the blackening seasoning. Literally just put it all in a bowl and stir. Done.


Preheat your oven to 450 F and cover a sheet tray with parchment paper. This is your friend, especially since we are using such a small amount of oil. Next you want to split your chicken breasts in half. That way you will end up with thinner chicken breasts that take a shorter amount of time to cook and it also tricks my mind into thinking I have more chicken to eat then I really do. I know, the mind games I play.


Then you want cover both sides with all that lovely blackening seasoning. Rub it in good. Take that 2 teaspoons of olive oil and divide it evenly over the top of chicken breasts on the sheet tray. 


Okay now place this tray in the oven for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. While that's cooking we can tackle the broccoli that will go into the same oven. Cut the broccoli into florets. 



Put those on a sheet tray with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Use those fingers and make sure it's all coated. Slide that tray into the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Now onto the sauce. I didn't get any pictures because I was so excited about it that I just forgot. Please forgive me, it is super easy I promise. All you do is dump everything into a food processor or blender and give it a whirl. You may or may not need more water and also it's all about the consistency you like. I wanted a cross between a sauce and dip so 2 Tablespoons worked perfect. Then plate it all up and pack yourself on the back for making something delicious and nutritious. It's definitely not a steak, but it is a far cry from the baked chicken breast and steamed spinach I had been downing as of late. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment