Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Milspouse Quiz

Okay, so I am a sucker for quizzes and yes I am just following suit with all the other milspouses that blogged this recently. I thought it would be a good chance to share some interesting information about me and my family so here goes....

1. How did you meet your spouse?

Jon and I met senior year of high school. I had just moved from a different county and my parents decided to put me in private school, Riverdale Baptist School, my last year. Something I was so not thrilled about. He played soccer and I played volleyball so we would see each other after practices before the school year started. Fast forward about 8 months and that's when we went on our first date. The funny thing is we found out that we had actually met way before this. You see his sister and my twin sisters went to the same college, Pensacola Christian College, and when his sister graduated he was there with his family and I went with my family to pick up my sisters. We supposedly saw each other in passing because I remember his sister and their U-Haul taking all her stuff back. That was in 2002 and we didn't start senior year until 2004. Crazy right? It was meant to be...

2. How old were you when you two met?

He was 17 and I was 16.

3. How long have you been together?

We have been married 2 years as of January 2nd, but we have been together for almost 7 years this coming March.

4. Where are you and your spouse originally from?

I was born and raised in Germantown, MD which is about 30 minutes from Washington, DC. Jon was born in New Orleans but he grew up in Brandon, FL.

5. How did you feel about him joining the military?

It's funny actually he talked about going into the military right after we got married. I was like no there is no way we are going to be a military family. So the discussion ended there. It was important to him that we make decisions together. Then I opened the conversation back up again this past May. I knew it was something he wanted to do and I wanted to support my husband in his goals and dreams. I finally was just like if you really think this what God has for our family I am all in!

6. Where did your spouse go to basic training?

Parris Island, SC

7. Has your spouse ever been deployed?

Seeing as though he just finished basic and is still in training... no.

8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony?

Hasn't gotten promoted yet, but I'm sure I'll get to go to one somewhere down the road....

9. How long have you been a military wife?

Just about a month if you count from graduation.

10. Did you marry him before or after he joined?

Before

11. How did your husband propose?

Okay so we had been together for about 4 1/2 years. We were talking about his friend that was getting married and going to the justice of the peace. I was like I so couldn't do that... I mean I plan weddings I have to have some sort of wedding! Then he said would you do it for me? I said well of course for you I would, laughing. Then he asked me marry me. I said of course not thinking he was for real. Boy was I wrong the next day he called me and said I went and talked to your Dad so what do we have to do now?  I was completely shocked!

12. Where did you get marrried?

We got married at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD it was beautiful. You can view the pictures here.

13. How old were you two when you got married?

We were both 22.

14. Did he wear his uniform on his wedding day?

He wasn't enlisted then.

15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed?

I am stationed nowhere! Jon is currently at Marine Combat Training at Camp Geiger in North Carolina.

16. Do you live on base?

Nope

17. How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation?

About 1 1/2 years... and let me tell you boot camp sucks! Talk about nothing, but letters for 3 months! It was the worst. But even worse is Marine Combat Training.... 29 days and literally nothing not even a letter. I am counting the days....

18. What is your favorite base so far?

I don't have one maybe once we get a duty station that will be my favorite base. Oh wait that would be the only base I will have ever been stationed on...

19. Do you think your spouse looks good in his uniform?

Absolutely! I couldn't take my eyes off him on family day and graduation! Then again he looks good in just about anything.

20. Do you think military life is more advanced than civilian life?

Come again? I don't really get the question. But if I had to tackle it I would go with no.

21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent?

They are nice, like getting BAH (housing allowance) while he was at boot camp. Even though I didn't have access to it was a nice savings when he came home. I do notice there are a lot of discounts for military families. I feel bad asking because my husband is the one in the military not me, but it came in handy when I just had to go fix my car.

22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends?

I wouldn't say a lot. I have 2 that go to my church. We talk a lot about how to deal with the separations. Something that we all understand! It's fun to hang out with them too and another friend of mines is actually in the Air Force.

23. What is the hardest part of the military life?

I would say separation and not knowing what's going on. I know for me being a control freak I have drove myself crazy during these past months because I have no contact with my husband and when I do it is very limited. It's strange how people always ask me how is Jon doing? Most of the time my honest answer would be I have no idea! I'll get back to when I get a letter. Yeah, I don't think you every get used to not having the person you love so much there or being able to talk to them whenever. Something I took for granted up until around September 20th yeah...

24. Do you own any military wife stuff?

No, not at all.

25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military?

Of course. He may have enlisted, but we made the decision together. I support him 100%.

Whew! I think I'll take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment