Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Would you be my Neighbor?

So we finally have gotten new neighbors! (Cue excited scream eeekk!) We have lived at our current house for almost a year and the house across the street and next to us have been vacant the entire time. Now this is not something new to us. The other two houses we lived in previously since moving to North Carolina was the same deal. No neighbors, at least not in the direct vicinity. So when I saw the U-Haul pull up across the street in it's orange glory a few days ago I was excited.  Living in a military town can be a little disheartening. It seems like over time you get aquatinted with someone only to find out they are off to the next duty station or moving on. It's hard to build lasting relationships, but on the flip side imperative because you never know when you will need help and family is more or less a long car ride or plane ride away. So being the crafty lover I am I decided to put my best foot forward and make a point to meet our new neighbors. I put together a little planter box full of goodies to welcome them and let them know that I would love to be their neighbor! It was a lot of fun and since Landon is out for the summer it gave us a project to work on, making cookies! All in all it turned out just as I had anticipated and there was even leftover cookies for the hubby which is good because I could never live down making his favorite ones for the neighbor without leaving him a few. In the box I included a bright gerber daisy, some delicious smelling hand soap, my absolute favorite ice tea mix for the summer and the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.



It was so much fun to have a little project to do and pass along. And it didn't hurt that I got a cookie or two for myself in the process. So my challenge to you is to pass along the happiness this summer. Get out and meet your neighbors because you never know when you will need a friend close! To help you do so I am including a printable for the tag in two colors as well as the my cookie recipe. I trimmed it down because it's not like I need 5 dozen cookies lurking around. Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1 cup rolled oats (I use the quick cooking ones)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

In a large bowl cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add the egg and mix throughly.

Combine the baking soda, salt, flour, and cinnamon and stir into the creamed butter and sugar mixture.

Add the vanilla and combine completely. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips until blended.

Drop teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen 



No comments:

Post a Comment