Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday Suppers

Cooking is something that I love to do. I have very vivid memories of stirring pots of goodness with my grandmother and frying chicken in the kitchen with my mom. Food has always been a part of my life. When I got married it was like embarking on a new food journey via my husband and son's palate. I so enjoyed perusing the endless cookbooks I own creating new and exciting dishes on a whim. Food was my medium of choice, my artistic outlet. As my friends started getting married I started getting a lot of questions like how do you cook every night? How do you come up with new, exciting, but easy weeknight meals. I started to realize that many young wives either A don't like to cook or B lack the energy to create new meals every night. With that being said I decide to take a stab at posting a new weeknight meal on my blog every Tuesday. This way I can keep a catalog of meals that I create (so I can recreate them, I am horrible at writing things down :) and hopefully can share some good ideas with all you!

Tonight's supper recipe is really fun. Jon loves anything Mexican so I often times find myself making tacos and enchiladas of various types. One that I had completely made up on a whim is Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas. They actually came out pretty good. Here's the recipe enjoy!

Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas

1 lb 26-30 count raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 cup of cooked white rice
2 limes
1/4 bunch of cilantro
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 8 pack of whole wheat tortillas (or any kind you like)
1 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese
chili powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper
olive oil

Heat oven to 425F. 
On a baking sheet coat shrimp with 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp of chili powder, 2 tsp of garlic powder. Toss to coat.
Roast shrimp in oven until pink about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with the juice from 1/2 lime.


Turn the oven down to 350F.
In a skillet over medium heat saute onions and green peppers in 2 tsp of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Combine rice, onions, green peppers, and shrimp. Season with additional garlic powder, salt and chili powder.


In a blender or food processor combine the juice of 1 lime, cilantro, 1 tbsp chili powder, and the can of fire roasted tomatoes with the juice. Pulse until combined and tomatoes/ cilantro are finely chopped.



Spoon 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
Fill the tortillas with the shrimp and rice mixture and roll, Add to the baking dish.
Top the rolled enchiladas with tomato sauce and cover with cheese.


Bake in a 350F oven until cheese is melted.



I served the enchiladas with a green salad dressed with lime juice, honey, and olive oil as well as some corn that I steamed in the microwave (I believe it was the southwest variety of the steam fresh vegetables). Very quick and satisfying, also fun to make. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I NEED to try this! I have been craving enchiladas like no other!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man looks GOOD!! I need to become a better cook. I'm jealous of your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete